초록 close

The purpose of this research is to reconstruct the Dongho Dokseodang and to examine its architectural characteristics in the mid-Joseon period. This institution was established for the Sagadoksseo(賜暇讀書), which is similar to the sabbatical year today. In 1517, it was first constructed and such buildings as the Jeongdang(正堂), Buok(附屋), Namru(南樓) and Seosangbang(西上房) were built at the time. In 1551, Munhoedang(文會堂) and Hanggak(行閣) were newly added, and in 1587 a new hall was built around a lotus pond. With the Imjin war in 1592, however, all buildings were devastated. There remain primary sources such as paintings and literatures providing the architectural information of the institution at the time. Based on these sources, various scholarly attempts to reconstruct the institution have been made since 2003. In this research, the primary sources and preceding stuides will be reviewed to reach a more reasonable reconstruction of the Dongho Dokseodang. In doing so, its important architectural characteristics are discussed as well.