초록 close

In 2005, 54.2% of the residents in Seoul live in apartment. It means that the rest 45.8% live in non-aprartment housing. In spite of this high percentage of non-apartment residents, there exist few pieces of related research on the non-apartment housing market in Korea. This is especially true for the rental market of non-apartment housing. This report analyzes the characteristics of the non-apartment rental housing market, which has been almost ignored in the academic field in Korea mainly due to insufficiency of the related data. In Seoul, single family detached housing is scarce nowaday. Instead, a few types of multi-family housing fill the gap. They can be divided into three types including Dagagu, Dasedai, and Yeonrib by the size of the building and the configuration of the individual units in it. For these types of housing, the actual sales and rental contract data is not accessible. Instead, offering prices and rents have been collected by a real estate data provider in Korea, named R114. This study analyzes the data for the time period from June 2004 to December 2006. The results of the analysis show that the rent levels of Dasedai and Dagagu have been relatively stable, comparing with the soaring rents and prices of apartments. However, the movements of the rents for non-apartment housing have been differentiated by type and area. Also, the conversion rate of Cheonse to monthly rent for non-apartment housing have been higher than that of apartment. Overall, the non-apartment housing exhibits relatively stable changes in various indices comparing with those of apartments.