초록 close

Gyeong-cheon-sa Temple was a large Buddhist monastery located at the foot of Mt. Buso in Jung-ryeon-ri Pung-deok-myeon Gae-pung-gun Hwang-hae Province. The famous ten-storied stone pagoda was enshrined in that temple. The pagoda was smuggled out into Japan by Tanaka (田中光顯), then Japanese ambassador in Korea, in 1909, but was returned soon afterwards after many complications. It is now to be exhibited in the newly built National Central Museum in Yongsan, Seoul. Prior to that, it will go through a thorough restoration. The Stone Pagoda of Gyeong-cheon-sa Temple is a Hwa-eom(Avatamsaka?) pagoda constructed in 1348 with the donation of four people including Gang Yung and Go Yong-bong, pro-Yuan powers of the time. As the records go in the Augmented Survey of the Geography of Korea(Dongguk Yeoji Seungnam) it seems it's true the stone pagoda was designed by the artisans from Yuan, China, because new elements are found in the design and sculpture done on the pagoda. Especially, the relief sculpture done on the surface of the pagoda on the first to fourth stories show new stylistic features. The iconography of the relief sculpture corresponds to Buddha's 16 Preaching scenes identical to that found on the surface of the ten-storied Stone Pagoda at Won-gak-sa Temple in Seoul. Thus, it reveals the characteristic of the pagoda, manifests the stylistic features of the new sculpture, and at the same time, offers a clue to the problem of the inheritance of artistic style. These are the number of problems discussed in this article. Also, the Buddha statues sculptured on the surface of the pagoda don't reveal the element of the Rama style of Tibet, providing a suggestion to reconsider the problem of the introduction of the Tibet style. The Stone Pagoda of Gyeong-cheon-sa Temple takes an important position in the stylistic development of the Buddhist sculpture, and requires a closer investigation.